Saturday, October 31, 2009

Spinach Pie

I too made the spinach pie this weekend.  My husband and I were planning a meal for my mother in law, and my husband asked me to come up with a side item to go with the rest of the meal.  He was making steak au poive and herb crusted rack of lamb with a mushroom and cognac beef reduction (something like that), roasted fingerling potatoes, and roasted tomatoes.  I thought the meal sounded slightly greek (I guess because of the lamb), so I thought the spinach pie would be a good fit, since it seems a lot like spanikopita to me (a greek dish with spinach in it). 

The recipe was pretty simple, but did have a fair amount of preparation work.  I know it's been said before, but make sure you defrost your philo dough before you're ready to make this.  I'd also recommend defrosting your spinach at least a few hours ahead of time.  This should save you some hassle when you're ready to really start making the pie. 

I didn't have a problem with the salt content, but I think that's because I deliberately cut the salt amount by about 1/3, and I was also a little short on the feta cheese, which has a lot of salt in it.  Also, as others have said, the philo does not cover over the top of the pie, so you'll have to add a few sheets on the top to cover it.  I added about three sheets, doubled over the top, and it did the trick. 

Here is is just out of the oven- very pretty!

 

The pie went over very well at dinner, although I must confess the other items on the table were so wonderful, I think a little of the pie's thunder might have been stolen. I guess that's the price I pay for having a great chef for a husband. I will willingly pay it!

This recipe is a definite keeper. It's delicious and unique, and looks so pretty on the table.

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

Your husband sounds like a keeper--oh to have one that cooked, how lovely....