Saturday, October 10, 2009

Maple-Oatmeal Scones

Mmm, these scones are good. I halved the recipe and made them exactly as stated, except cut them into 8 triangles cause I didn't want to dig out my circle cutter. They didn't exactly keep their triangle shape so the circles are probably a better idea. My husband appreciates a not-so-sweet breakfast bread, and they were a success - he ate almost two of these large scones. I always thought scones were supposed to be dry and crumbly, but maybe that's because I don't hardly ever make them so I never eat them fresh. Right or wrong, these were crunchy on the outside, soft and moist (kinda bready) on the inside, and, with the glaze, the perfect sweetness for us.

You can barely tell from the pic but I left the egg wash off one scone, the one on the bottom left. It didn't taste any different or affect the glaze, but all the others had a nicer golden color to them.

No comments: