Friday, October 2, 2009

Maple Oatmeal Scones

I majorly messed up my back on Tuesday, and couldn't hardly get up to do much on Wednesday. My poor kids wore their PJ's all day and ate whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted! Wednesday night I remembered that I had signed up to bring breakfast to a Bible Study group on Thursday morning. I got a tiny burst of energy and decided to make these scones. By the time I got them cut out, my back was killing me and I couldn't stand up any longer. So I took Ina's tip that she had in the recipe to cut them out, then refrigerate them till the morning. It worked like a charm.

I don't know how big her scones turned out, she says it makes 14 large ones...well I got 32 medium sized scones! I did roll them out a little thinner than she says. (which knocked the cooking time down to 10 minutes) The only changes I made were to cut 4 TBSP of butter out and to add alot more sugar...my, my she likes her scones unsweet! The recipe calls for 2 TBSP..I put in 1/3 cup...then panicked at the last minute that all the ladies at the Bible Study would think they weren't sweet enough, so I added another 1/4 cup. I thought they were perfect. I skipped the egg wash step...I didn't think it made sense if they have a glaze on them. Don't skip the glaze, it makes them. I wanted them in triangles cuz I thought circles made them look more store bought, but the dough was so soft I couldn't get them to hold their shape, so store-bought looking circles they were.

I didn't get to see what the ladies thought of them cuz my back was not in shape to get me and 2 kids dressed and out the door. So I had a friend come by and pick them up to take to the study while I sat at home on my sofa on a heating pad watching Cinderella with my girls for the 5th time in 2 days!

But I did sneak one off the plate before they went out the door and they were WONDERFUL! I will definitely be making them again. I liked them better than the other strawberry scones of Ina's. Put these on your list to make soon!

--Carissa

2 comments:

Haylee said...

These look yummy!! I've been wanting to make these....thanks for the tip about the sugar. Don't think I'll be making much for awhile but this is still on my list.:)

Janice Johnson said...

that is a pitiful sad story about your back...sounds like you need a grandmother around to take the girls away....but, not sure you should be cooking with a bad back either!---the grandmother.