Friday, October 30, 2009

Spinach Pie

This spinach pie was easier to make than I thought it would be, and it made me feel like some sort of pastry chef! I made the full recipe as stated, and you might not be able to tell from this pic, but my phyllo dough didn't at all come close to covering the top of the pie. I ended up laying two more sheets, buttered and folded in half, on top and it came out quite nicely.


I really loved this spinach pie, and didn't have any problems with too much spinach taste (but we really like spinach over here). The pine nuts made it interesting, and usually I love them, but I didn't think the recipe would lack if you left them out. I thankfully only used half the butter the recipe called for. The only real problem with my pie was the saltiness. The recipe called for 2 teaspoons, and I was careful. I probably used a scant 2 tsp, and it was still pretty salty. Maybe if you add the eggs and salt last, or added less salt initially, you could taste the mix for salt as you add it. I will make this again, probably for company, not just for regular dinner. My sons loved it, except my 3 year old complained that he didn't like the dough part. Not like butter covered pastry? Give it time, kid.


I have a theory though: recently, I ran out of my kosher salt, which was Morton brand, and bought some off-brand Kroger kosher salt. Since then, my recipes have been on the salty side, and even my husband has used it and complained it tasted saltier... is it possible for one salt to be saltier than another? From what I remember, I think my Morton kosher salt was cleaner; this Kroger salt is dusty, and my guess is it adds more salt when I measure the same teaspoon. So my recommendation, if your recipes are too salty, is to go try some different salt. Or just use less.

3 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I always like a head up about salt--I am very salt-sensitive. I am just experimenting myself with different kinds of salt, and I think there is a huge difference--though my husband says that is crazy. Julia, your pie/casserole dish is perfect for this spinich pie--very pretty presentation. What do you serve with this? Is it a main dish or side dish?

Julia said...

we ate it as a main dish... I couldn't think of anything but maybe a green salad or possibly soup to serve with it. so similar to a quiche you could serve it for breakfast (or eat leftovers for breakfast like I did). you could maybe serve it with beans, like the beans & sausage sort of soup that you do.

Carissa said...

I am out of town in NYC, so I haven't had internet access to read all of the latest posts from you ladies! I got a quick sneak peak real fast at the blog tonight for a minute. Almost makes me miss cooking...we have been eating some really good food here, so I don't know! :)
We still have a few more days here in NY. I look forward to getting back into cooking when I get back. Have a good rest of the week.
--Carissa