Friday, October 16, 2009

Random Ina Meal...by Janice and Julia

My daughter-in-law, Julia, and 2 sweetie-pie grandsons were visiting me for a few days, so Julia and I cooked an Ina meal--though it was kind of an uncoordinated meal, as we got to the grocery store without a list..we were just trying to remember enough for any recipe! Julia had brought me some fennel from Houston, but we couldn't remember all the ingredients for any fennel recipe, so we just bought random stuff for random dishes!


We wound up fixing the Cheddar Corn Chowder, though I didn't have the bacon, however I did have some bacon grease. (My son, Ben, tells me only old people have bacon grease sitting around in their fridge--I use it for breakfast gravy. ) I added rotisserie chicken to the soup, just to make it more hearty for our dinner. I steam/blanched the corn, which turned out easier than boiling I thought. But in the end, I think I would have been fine with frozen corn. The fresh corn makes the soup really sweet I thought, and I am not sure how much I like sweet soup...

But the chowder was ok--no real problem with it. My husband David's comment was it is good, but nothing to write home about. When I questioned what that meant, he said, "Well, I wouldn't break a leg to get to the table to eat it, but it is ok." So I guess it was just so-so for us!



With the chowder, Julia and I tried slightly steaming the sugar snap peas, on Carissa's suggestion. And because I did not have the sesame oil and seeds, I just added some "good" olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper. They were good--might add a nice addition to a plate of food that needs some color and a little interesting spark of taste...(probably a strange side for soup though, except it gave the grandsons the required green vegetable for dinner!)


I bought one baby pumpkin for my grandson, Gabriel, to eat out of--and we made the curry couscous to put in the pumpkin. Julia did a wonderful job of perfectly dicing all the loose veggies from the fridge into the dish. The last time I made this dish, I thought I might cut the oil in half, from 4 T to 2 T--and I tried this. I think I will up it next time to 3 T, and that will be perfect. We love this dish. Hubby loves it too!! However, little Gabey did not like it in the roasted pumpkin, and we had to take the couscous out for him to eat it. He did just get up from a nap and was a little grumpy...but he seemed to think the pumpkin with food in it was very weird--unlike his cousin, Evelyn, who loved food in her pumpkin!


Julia and I did make the applesauce the day before, and had it at every meal while Julia and the boys were here, and we all love it. I like the idea that it will last for weeks in the fridge. It was great on pancakes yesterday! Sorry, I didn't get a pic of that.

Well, that is all our Ina cooking for this week.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

Mom, I'm suprised that you didn't like the soup that much. When we had our potluck I thought it was so yummy...maybe it was the sweet thing, I guess I didn't mind it slightly sweet.

Janice Johnson said...

It was not that I didn't like it--it was more that it was very simular to one I kind of make up now and then with potatoes and corn--and Pops doesn't much like potatoes anyway, so that is a negative for him! It reminded me of soups in Colombia that are often sweet with coconut milk...and they are ok, but the sweetness is still a bit strange to me. I certanily would not complain if someone fixed it for me though!