Friday, October 9, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf & Parmesan Smashed Potatoes

We had the real deal meal last night, and the full recipe at that. I bought 6 lbs of ground turkey at Costco and had 2 meals to take to church friends, as well as my meatloaf crazy mom to feed.

The meatloaf recipe was simple enough, even being the largest recipe of meatloaf ever created. This is what my 5 pound recipe made. The meatball sized casserole cooked more quickly than the loaves, so we ate that for dinner.


The potatoes were just as simple but I did manage to screw them up. I used Russet potatoes instead of red, and that must have made quite a difference because I cooked a little over 3 pounds (the recipe called for 3) and with my mind elsewhere, I dumped all the half & half plus butter in at once, and consequently got some very soupy smashed potatoes. So below is me boiling a couple extra potatoes to add to my potato slop. Just watch as you pour the liquid, that's all I'm saying. Sloppy or not, they tasted great.


This is what we had for dinner, and I surprisingly got quite mixed reactions. My husband said it was "different" but I think that's because he's been burned by ground turkey before so is reluctant to encourage me to make it. My mom decided it needed more ketchup and ate her meal with the bottle in her other hand, but she did go back for seconds. The kids got handed huge nectarines when my mom walked in the door and by the time I realized what was going on they had eaten half each. So they enjoyed their first bites of food, but then sat there playing until they decided they weren't hungry anymore. I thought it tasted just like what meatloaf & mashed potatoes were supposed to taste like, very yummy. The only thing that creeps me out about ground turkey in general is that cooked turkey juice junk that coagulates in the pan around the loaves. Yuck.


With the extra pound of ground turkey I had, I quartered the recipe and made a gluten-free version for a friend who just had a baby. I substituted 1/3 cup quinoa, cooked, for the bread crumbs and it tasted great as well (you can see where we sampled the corner of her loaf).


2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

Very entertaining! I especially like the part of your mom eating with the ketchup bottle in one hand! I am very wary of this turkey meatloaf, much like Ben--maybe that is where he gets his turkey hesitation, although Carissa is gun-ho ground turkey, so who knows. Did you tell your take-a-meal recipients they were a cooking experiment?

Julia said...

well, since I tasted it all I decided it was worthy of giving. rachel appreciates people taking the time to cook gluten-free for her, so I figure she's got to be game for some experiments!