Thursday, October 8, 2009

Caramelized Butternut Squash


I haven't eaten much butternut squash in my lifetime, but wanted to try this recipe since my girls loved pureed butternut squash as infants. Naturally, I thought they will eat this no problem, and my hubby will, too. Homerun, right? Wrong! None of us liked it. The girls instantly spit it out, my husband tried to make a nice face while he ate the first bite, and I just started laughing when I tasted it. All the work for nothing! And let me tell ya. It is work to cut up the squash. I thought I had decent knives, but this took me 35 minutes to cut up 1 squash. I halved the recipe. Once it was all cubed, the rest of it was easy. Another 10 minutes or so to mix the spices, brown sugar and butter, then popped it in the oven. I think it could have used more brown sugar and salt, but then again, maybe I'm just not cut out to eat squash :)

3 comments:

Julia said...

Well I have a butternut squash waiting to be painfully cut and peeled.. now I'm not really looking forward to it :) but we do eat it more often here so maybe it will be well received...

Sheila said...

Bummer, that's disappointing. I love it in soup, I wonder if you could take those leftovers (if you haven't already chunked them) and make them into a soup (with LOTs more brown sugar, butter, and salt! HA!)

Stacey said...

I love the soup idea. Maybe I will do that. And yes, it will need LOTS more salt and brown sugar. :)