Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Maple Oatmeal Scones on a budget





After an email from my Bible study leader yesterday saying I had to bring breakfast this morning I started to panic a bit. Then I realized I would make the Maple Oatmeal Scones that have looked delicious on this site and in the book. We are doing Beth Moore's Esther study and if you have read Esther or done this study you will understand the comment "For Such A Time As This"...to make delicious looking scones.
Now to the recipe. I had a few changes to the recipe, the first was adding 1 cup of sugar. I would say that was absolutely the perfect amount. The second was I made the dough yesterday and stuck it in our fridge until this morning so they would be warm for Bible Study. Lastly, I ran out of powdered sugar for the glaze. The recipe called for 1 and 1/4 cups and I only had 3/4 cup so I added 1/4 cup of regular sugar.
On a budget? I used store brand ingredients for everything. Maple Syrup can get pricey but the Kroger brand was $5.50. The buttermilk had to be sold in 2 days so it was $.25 and everything else I already had in the pantry. Notice the Stop & Shop Baking Powder, that must be a few years old b/c I bought it when we lived in CT.
I made it to class early this morning(which I would call a miracle) so I could put them out. They were gone and people that only got one and got there early, went back and got a second one. I literally had people coming up to me in the parking lot that saw me carrying out the empty plate stopping me begging for the recipe. The 20 ladies in my small group couldn't stop talking about them. Thanks Ina for helping me make new friends at church!

2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

that is a really cute story! I love it.

Stacey said...

oh, these sound delicious! I had to laugh at the "Stop and Shop" baking powder. I remember my grocery days at that chain of store when we were in CT, as well. Glad it all turned out and you made a few new friends :)