Monday, October 5, 2009

Roasted Baby Pumpkins

Phil and I wanted a snack on Sunday afternoon while the football madness was running (over and over and over and over….). I was happy to retreat to the kitchen to make an afternoon snack. I had the small pumpkins around the house for seasonal decorations so I decided to make this dish with them. There is one change that I would make: substitute brown sugar for the salt and pepper. Salt, pepper, pumpkin and applesauce is just a weird combination. I made a couple like the recipe said and then did my own variation. While I’m not trying to sound pompous, I would strongly recommend cooking my variation with the brown sugar. This dish is beyond easy and so cute. If someone is having a Halloween party or hosting a large crowd for thanksgiving, this would be an adorable appetizer. Also you could roast the baby pumpkin seeds for another appetizer.
Roasted Baby Pumpkins (page 153) before, during, and after

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Darby... So cute. I love your pumpkins ! I agree the idea of salt, pepper and applesause sounds yucky, but brown sugar was brillant !! I think I will try these next.

Janice Johnson said...

I have apples bought for applesauce and a little pumpkn to experiment with...and was wondering if you made your applesause? I was thinking of only cooking the applesauce halfway, then put it in the pumpkin to finish cooking? I also wonder if you actully eat the pumpkin flesh, or just the applesauce? I thought the salt sounded interesting, as I like salt on apples!

Haylee said...

Darby....you are working your way through the book! You are rocking it! I was wondering about these...may have to try them while we can buy the little pumpkins!

Darby Hawley said...

Janice- Mott's made my applesauce (hehe). I will have to try the applesauce still, so I will look forward to your review on it. The actual pumpkin does jet very soft and you can eat it if you want to. I didn't becuase the weird pepper and salt combination was too different for me, but if you like salt on your apples you might like this. :-)