Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chocolate Pecan Squares



I've spent the week baking. I think I've made the Maple Oatmeal Scones about 4 times for various Bible Studies and breakfast type meetings. They have been a hit every time and I've always saved a few out for us at home.

Last night I had a great night getting together with a few girl friends for a pot luck dinner. I had been dying to make the Pecan Squares since our last dinner party. I ended up making a half recipe and using a 9x13 pyrex dish to make them. A few mishaps happened. Mishap #1 the oven was on 450 instead of 350 for the first 8 minutes of baking the pecan mix on top of the shortbread. It didn't seem to mess with the outcome. Mishap #2 I still used a whole teaspoon of the lemon and orange zest b/c I forgot to half it. Mishap #3 I dumped an entire bag of Nestle Tollhouse morsels on top. I know, you're thinking how could this be a mishap. Well, it wasn't a total mishap. It was just a little too much chocolate. I recommend a whole bag for a whole recipe. Also, I had to leave and cut the squares before the chocolate had time to completely cool so it was a little messy and they didn't turn out as pretty as they could have with proper cooling.

All in all, two thumbs up. I will definitely make this again. It was easy, taste great and I did like the chocolate on top. All of the girls enjoyed them and even with baking half a recipe we had enough for home and for the Roller's! Congrats to Chad, Karen and Kate, baby Barrett is a sweetheart!

No comments: