Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cheddar Dill Scones

My son Will, who is my resident kitchen assistant, and I teamed up the other day to make some scones or "cheesy biscuits" as he called them.

They were delicious. I changed it up just a little. The recipe called for 4 extra large eggs, my eggs weren't that big and the batter seemed a little dry and too tough for my mixer to stir. So, I went ahead and added one more egg. In the end looking back that extra egg might have made them turn out a little fluffier and not as dense as a scone should be.

I bought one pack of fresh dill at the grocery store, and I used all of it and it still wasn't as much as the recipe calls for, I think I ended up with 1/2 a cup of dill. But, after eating them I thought that any more dill would have been overkill.

Here is Will adding the cheddar and dill to the batter. This was also the point in time I started debating about adding bacon???

Here they are beautifully golden browned.

I decided not to add bacon, I wanted to make them just the way Ina said to. We thought they were great, but they didn't scream breakfast to me. I actually served them with dinner a few nights. Next time I'm going to add bacon and then I think they will seem more like breakfast food.

Turns out I ended up with 3 full trays of these. The recipe says you should have 16 large scones. I must have cut mine much smaller than Ina does because I think I had 4o something. I froze a bunch in small portions so that I can serve them with dinner in the future.

I picked this recipe because it called for heavy cream which I already bought heavy cream for the Lobster Pot Pie, so I was looking for something else to make with the cream. So, just a hint if you are looking to use up heavy cream this is a great recipe to try.

1 comment:

dee said...

Kinsey has really gotten into helping me cook. Glad Will joined in on the fun too. Now where is Luke?