Friday, October 2, 2009

Lobster and Shrimp Pot Pie


Pot Pies and myself go way back! I remember as a child eating the frozen individual pot pies in the aluminum containers. Then when I was in 5th grade I got involved in 4H. I entered my chicken pot pie and went to district with it and I typically take my chicken pot pie to new moms. When I first found this cookbook and started looking through it, the Lobster Pot Pie recipe caught my eye. So this was another meal that I made while my mom was in town.

I debated on whether or not to use real lobster or fake and I decided to splurge. I got 2 lobster tails at HEB. One was 3.4 oz ($3.99) and the other was 7 oz ($9.99) and I also picked up a small bag of cooked salad shrimp ($2.99) just in case I didn't have enough lobster meat. HEB steams the lobsters for free so I wouldn't have to cook them.

First you take some scissors and cut throught the middle of the back. Then use your muscles to pry the lobster open and rip out the meat. This is a great way to relieve stress!! After that I just followed the recipe and compiled everything into the dough. I did use peas and carrots, instead of just peas to ensure more vegetables entered my kids mouths. :)
Oh, I loved the pastry! I had never bought real lard, but since it was only $1.50 I decided to use it and I could tell a difference in Ina's dough recipe compared to my recipe. For a personal touch, I always take a small, sharp knife and "engrave" the last name's initial of the family that I am preparing the meal for. So for my family it was M for McLain.
This recipe was a HUGE hit at our house. I will definitely make it again and probably tweak it to work for chicken pot pie, too.

3 comments:

Lou Ann Chae said...

I am not planning on having any more children but if I pretend I'm sick will you make me a chicken pot pie?? With my initial on the top. Please.

Ruth Lee said...

Anything for our wonderful Sunday School directors!!

Stacey said...

looks delicious! Great that your grocery boils the lobsters for you, as well!