Monday, October 12, 2009

glazed ham

I'm a little nervous to be blogging about something I served to people, but since they've already eaten it and said how good it was I can admit how I made it! Unfortunately, the only picture I have is the one of the spread from the dinner party (see previous post).

It started with finding a ham. Where to get a ham? Someone had said HEB, I think, so I figured I could get one there. But first I called Honey Baked Hams (on Friday) and asked if they had a plain un-glazed ham (because we have a gift card for there). Turns out you have to plan ahead and special order that. Ok, HEB it was.

I explained to the friendly "devil" at HEB (they were dressed up) what I was looking for and she kindly helped me find something "economical" and yet tasty (she also gave me several suggestions for recipes, but I insisted I already had some ideas). And, as a side note, our conversation was all in Spanish.

Next on the list - mango chutney. After discovering I didn't really know what a chutney was, I phoned a friend - my mom! She guided me to look for it by the relishes, the Indian food and even fruits and olives. No luck. She googled the ingredients for me and I wandered around my multicultural HEB looking for some auspicious substitutions for "mango chutney."

Turns out my creation was a hit! Everyone liked my version of the glaze, including James ("what's this on my ham?"). What was in it? With help from my mom, I decided to include cooked chopped onions, mango jam, crushed pineapple, chili pepper, ginger (I only had the powder), and golden raisins. After adding enough of everything to where it looked and tasted delicious, I added the rest of the ingredients of the glaze and poured it over the ham! Serve with extra chutney and mustard.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I am so impressed that you made the chutney. The ham and the sauce was very delicious! I give it 2 thumbs up :)

Carissa said...

I thought it tasted great! Loved your homemade chutney!