Thursday, October 15, 2009

Little Lime Curd Tarts

I made lots of little tarts instead of one big tart. My only complaint on the tart dough is that mine never stuck together like Ina said it would. It was just crumbles. I finally dumped it on the counter and squished it together with my hands. Then I had to do the same thing to fill each tart pan...dump the crumbs in and press it into the pan. It worked out fine, just took some time.


The curd was easy enough to make except I thought it was silly to process the lime skin with the sugar, when I could just finely zest it. One thing I didn't think about before I put in a little extra zest was that it was green. When I started the curd it was so pretty with bright green specks. Then by the time I was finished cooking it all, it looked like Cream of Celery Soup from a can! The zest had turned a lovely shade of avocado! So I decided to get rid of it by using a sieve.

The end results were very yummy, although not that much lime kick, I think next time I would do lemon or orange for better color and citrus taste. Adam (the husband) agreed that they tasted really good, but he said the curd kinda looked like snot! How is that for a compliment!!
I had more than we could eat, and didn't want to waste them, so I asked my trusty mom if they could be frozen with the curd filling and all. She said yes, so I'll let you know how they are once they are thawed!
--Carissa






4 comments:

Stacey said...

These are so cute! They look tasty, too. Had to laugh at Adam's comment. Guys are so funny and creatively descriptive, apparently!

Ruth Lee said...

Where did you get your cute tart pans?

Carissa said...

Ya know, my mom gave them to me years ago for a birthday or chirstmas present. Mom, do you remeber where you got them?

Janice Johnson said...

I think they came from Canton, just like Julia's cracker/biscuit cutter with holes did that I gave her...but some of the tart pans could have come from Canada too--I remember making pecan tarts in some up there, then later bought more...