Friday, October 2, 2009

Chocolate Buttercream Cake (aka Yummy Bday Cake)

Landon's 2nd birthday party was last weekend and since he loves chocolate I decided to make Ina's recipe. In one word - INCREDIBLE!! This recipe was very moist and overall terrific. I did use lowfat buttermilk, light sour cream, and instant coffee instead of instant espresso. I did consider what effect the coffee that was in the cake and icing might have on a houseful of 2 year olds, but did it anyways! :) I had never made icing that used egg whites for fear of poisoning someone, but since they sit over a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes I figured it was fine. The frosting was shiny and smooth and if I wasn't pregnat I would have helped myself to a bowl of it. :)

2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

This is a seriously CUTE cake!!

Stacey said...

what a fabulous cake!! I am so impressed!