Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pecan Squares

I made the pecan squares last week and brought them to our Wednesday night bible study group.  The recipe was pretty simple, but it did have a lot of ingredients and a number of steps, not to mention a LOT of butter.  I think it required 7 sticks of butter for the whole recipe.  I'm sure the butter amount could be decreased, but since I generally don't know what I'm doing when I'm cooking, I thought I'd follow the recipe completely on the first try. 
I made a full recipe of these, and as I think someone has already said, it makes a LOT of bars.  I had enough to bring to our small group, my work, my parents and my brother, and my mom even brought some up to my dad's cardiology office (just a little ironic to be bringing the 7 sticks of butter bars up to the heart doctor's office).  Even then, we had leftovers!  So, be prepared to do a lot of giving away if you plan to make a full recipe of these and desire not to gain about 15 pounds. 

One other note.  Ina says to bake these in a really large size dish.  I can't remember the exact size she says, but it was definitely larger than the typical 9 x 13 (is that the typical size, or am I thinking about paper?).  I didn't have this size, so I just did my best to cram the whole recipe into the pan I did have.  I don't reccomend this.  Although my bars ended up being really tasty, they also ended up being very crusty.  They had a very tall layer of crust at the bottom.  If I make a full recipe the next time I make these, I'll definitely be dividing the recipe between 2 dishes. 

Here's the finished product...  They were very tasty and quite a treat. 




3 comments:

Julia said...

oh, I am just dying to make these but I am making myself wait til thanksgiving... or at closer to then when all the family will be around to eat them!

Janice Johnson said...

Well, you will have to let me know when you are making them Julia, because i was thinking the same thing--and we probably don't need 2 batches of them!

Julia said...

I totally call them for thanksgiving... that's the dessert I'm bringing to the lodge (since I'm not so into pie)