Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spicy Pulled Pork

After it was cooked, I separated the juices/gravy in a fat separator and was able to skim alot of fat off the top! You can see the fat left in the separator. Then I poured the juices into a saucepan and reduced them by about half making a thicker and more flavorful gravy.

I thought this was a winner...it was effortless, and made ALOT. we used it for fajitas the first night, then tostadas the 2nd night, then quasadillas the 3rd night. It wasn't spicy, not sure why she calls it that. It had good flavor though. I didn't even turn it every hour like she asks, I kept forgetting. I wonder how this would be in a crock pot? I did have to ask for help finding the pork at HEB...it was labled...Picnic Pork Shoulder ...guess you are suppose to take it for a picnic lunch?
--Carissa




5 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I have always kind of wondered about the "picnic" part, so I looked it up and here is the scoop--"Picnic ham" is a little challenging, even for the pork board folks. Generally, the shoulder is smoked, they say, which gives it a very ham-like flavor. Since picnic shoulder/ham is an inexpensive substitute for real ham (which only comes from the hind legs), they speculate that it would have been considered a good cut for casual dining — such as a picnic — rather than for use at a formal family dinner, such as Easter or Thanksgiving.

Darby Hawley said...

Hey Carissa, what is a fat seperator?

Janice Johnson said...

A fat seperator is one of the world's greatest invention. I told Carissa she HAD to have one when she got married. I will let her tell you about it...

Carissa said...

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips-Separator-4-Cup/dp/B0002YTGIQ

There is a link to one....basically it is a measuring cup with a spout that starts from the base of the "cup". You pour in your gravy and let it sit for a few minutes...all the fat raises to the top, then when you pour out the gravy from the spout it pours from the bottom leaving all the fat at the top. Ingenious idea.

Darby Hawley said...

wow I need one of those too!