Sunday, February 21, 2010

Perfect Pot Roast and Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Sorry for the lack of photos - we were experiencing technical difficulties with our camera when I made the last few recipes, but those have been resolved, so I should have attachments in the future. :) Anyway, the Pioneer Woman's "perfect" pot roast was aptly named - my husband said it was the best pot roast I have ever made. I did make a couple of changes to the recipe - I used a lot more beef stock than she recommended (around 5-6 cups), and I added a bottle of Shiner Bock (adding a beer is a little trick I learned from my sister- and brother-in-law Julia and Ben - who have always made delicious pot roasts!). I loved the use of the rosemary and thyme...our house smelled so yummy! As for the creamy mashed potatoes, they did not go over so well - but I think that's more because my husband doesn't like really creamy things than that the recipe isn't good. I personally thought they were delicious! I did cut down A LOT on the butter and cream cheese, and it didn't seem to hurt the potatoes at all. Finally, I love that you can make these in advance and heat them up 1-2 days later (which I suppose is true of any mashed potatoes, but it never occurred to me to do it before...).

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I like the idea of the beer...I'm gonna have to try that!