Wednesday, February 24, 2010

French Breakfast Puffs

Yesterday I had snack duty for small groups and the main thing I was going to make I couldn't b/c the dough has to sit over night and I didn't realize that until 9.30 the night before and I was to tired to do it so that then left me with only two snacks for small groups...and I like to have at least three for variety! So I was thumbing through the cookbook trying to figure out what I could make with what I had so I saw the list for these and was like 'good I have everything!' and they were on my list that I wanted to try sooner rather than later! Well as I'm getting everything out of my pantry I realize the shortening I thought I had was a year old and no good so I was like oh no. But the internet was to the rescue so I looked to see what substitutions I could use and everyone said butter so I went with it just hoping it would turn out good....and they did! Darby had made them before and she said there wasn't any difference that she could tell with the butter. Which is worse of the two butter or shortening???:)

We gave them a 10 and they were actually very easy to make! I will say though they are sugary but you can control that with the coating. I did a lot b/c the coating made A LOT and I hate to waste so instead of wasting more than I did I'll just give everyone cavities!

My suggestions for the coating:
1 stick of butter (I used 1stick +3-4tbsp and that was to much)
3/4c of sugar (1 1/2 was just way to much.....I had to trhow some away b/c obviously I didn't use that much)
2tsp of cinnamon (just for the fact that the sugar is being cut down)

Just as pretty as hers....maybe not presentation but hey they were yummy!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I say shortening is worse for you...where does it come from? At least butter you know came from a cow!