Friday, February 12, 2010

Peach Crisp and Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes

I had to take the good with the bad last night. I’m not sure what happened in my kitchen last night, but I have a feeling we’re going to be smelling burnt pancakes for the next few days. I attempted to make Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes and they just did not turn out well at all. I don’t think it was the recipe, I’m pretty certain it was something I did. I was using my cast iron skillet for the first time, and I’m not sure if I lack experience with it or I had the stove too hot or something, but I burnt every single pancake. I couldn’t even dignify it with a picture of the finished product (too embarrassing). But here is a picture of them cooking. If anyone has any cast iron skillet tips, I’m all ears.
Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes page 76

While the pancakes were subpar, I redeemed myself with the Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce. That was delicious! Since peaches aren’t in-season, I used 3 15-oz. canes of lite peaches in natural juice (not in the heavy syrup). I imagine that you could also use frozen peaches for this recipe though. I thought about adding oats next time, what do you think? The maple cream sauce really makes this dessert extra special though, so don’t skip on that.

Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce page 230

4 comments:

Carissa said...

It really is hard to find just the right temp for a cast iron skillet for pancakes. I had some trouble because if the pan was too hot, they burnt, but if it wasn't hot enough then they would stick. And with an electric stovetop it isn't as fast to adjust as on a gas stove. You'll have to give it another try sometime. Your crisp looks great.

Darby Hawley said...

Thanks Carissa, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had a little bit of difficulty

Anne said...

Hey Darby! Make sure your pan is seasoned well. If its a new pan it is going to take some time to get it built up well even if it came "pre-seasoned". Thats the only thing that is going to help with getting it to a non-stick surface. Just midly wash your pan, apply a thin coat of oil to both sides then place upside down on your top oven rack. Set the oven to 350 and let it bake for about an hour. Repeat as necessary. (I place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch any oil that drips- just incase!) Do this a few times and it will help!
Happy Cooking!

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.