Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken-Fried Steak and the PW’s Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Red meat + mashed potatoes + gravy = one very happy husband. I made this dish Monday night and I had a feeling that it was going to go over well; I was right. I followed the chicken-fried steak recipe exactly according to the PW. For the mashed potatoes, I substituted regular milk for the heavy cream, because I felt like I was clogging an artery by simply looking at the list of ingredients. I really didn’t find either recipe that time consuming or difficult, and they were definitely yummy. My husband said that the mashed potatoes were the best he has ever tasted(my thought was, “well they better be considering how terrible they are for you”). Judging from the smile on my husband’s face as he was eating this dish, I know that we will be making both of these recipes again. Thanks PW for bringing a smile to my Marlboro Man’s face!
Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy (page 142) and PW’s Creamy Mashed Potatoes (page 146). Here is my version of the PW’s assembly line to “drudged” the meat through, followed by the finished product.

2 comments:

Haylee said...

Chicken fried steak yummo! That was my fav thing my mom used to make growing up as a kid! Now Daniel makes it for me and it's just as good. I'm curious if PW's will be better than his or not...we'll see whenever we make it!
Northerners just don't know what they're missing out on with chicken fried steak....oh and never get from a restraunt...it's just blasphemes!

Janice Johnson said...

We had some friends from Canada visitng us once, and wanting a real "Texas" experience, so we offered to take them out for chicken fried steak. They turned their noses up and said the idea of frying a steak sounded absolutely horrible to them! I guess when you think of friying a T-bone or something like that, (like maybe how they were thinking) it does sound bad! We never did take them for one though...