Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Maple Pecan Scones


These scones came out great! The one change I made was to use 1 cup whole wheat & 2 cups all-purpose instead of 3 all-purpose. I did have to splash some water on my dough because they were entirely too dry to work with (I guess because of the whole wheat flour?), but they came out so good. I actually chilled the butter/flour mix while I chopped the pecans since I think the butter is supposed to stay as cold as possible. I made 2 rounds of 8 scones each, so mine were half size, but still plenty big. Having been burned by Ina one too many times, I halved the icing and I'm glad I did. And for the record, half a pound of powdered sugar was a little more than 2 cups packed. I didn't have the maple flavoring, so instead of coffee I used maple syrup, plus half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. They didn't taste at all maple-y, but the ladies I shared them with loved them, even the one from England (though she made sure I knew these were not at all what scones were like over there). I thought the sweetness was perfect and I could barely tell they were 1/3 whole grain, scones tend to be so dense anyway. I will definitely make these again.

2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

wow, they sure look beautiful! Yes, I know about those England scones. The focus with them is the wonderful cream and sweet jams they add on top of a very plain almost biscuit.

Darby Hawley said...

I agree with Janice, these look so pretty!