Monday, February 8, 2010

Jalapeno Poppers

I made these for our Superbowl party and they were DELISH! A couple of things to note: (1) I used apricot jelly instead of BBQ sauce, and got rave reviews from everyone who tried the poppers. I thought it would be interesting to take Ree's suggestion on that and use something that was purely sweet to balance out the salty and spicy aspects of the poppers, and it worked really well. (2) This next one is a bit weird: If you practice hot yoga or engage in any other activity that involves a lot of sweating, heed Ree's advice about wearing gloves! I thought I could handle the heat and it was a big mistake! Now, I didn't wake up in the middle of the night cursing the name Ree Drummond (as she suggested I might), and actually only experienced some mild burning in the hours after preparing the poppers. But the next day, I went to a hot yoga class and once the sweat started pouring off of me, my left hand was on fire...YE-OUCH! (I held the jalapeƱos primarily in my left hand while I scooped the insides out with a spoon held in my right, so the extreme burning was confined to that hand.) I guess all of that sweat pushed the remaining toxins out to the surface of my skin. The only slightly good thing I can say about this is that it distracted me from various other painful sensations that usually accompany my yoga classes. Anyway, I can't say for sure that this won't happen to you if you don't do something that makes your palms sweat the day after making the poppers, but it might be best to play it safe and protect your hands. :) (3) Finally, a lot of the poppers stuck to my baking sheet and I had to pry them off, so I will probably use parchment paper the next time I make them.

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

wow, that is weird. However, I have noticed that after seeding jalepenos for canning during the summer--that a hot shower or washing dishes makes my fingers burn. So guess that is the same reaction. But I didn't know it could last until the next day!

I never use my baking sheets anymore without parchment paper on them. Parchment is such a good kitchen friend!It is one of my favortie things.