Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Szechuan Noodles and Caramelized Butternut Squash, (not together)

A few nights ago I made the caramelized butternut squash. I only used one squash, which fed the three of us with enough left over for me and Ethan for lunch the next day. It was very good, they actually tasted a lot like roasted sweet potatoes. If you've never cut a butternut squash, which I had never done, be sure you have a very large, sharp knife. It was quite difficult. So, if you're not too sure about your knife skills, maybe stick to another vegetable.

Now, the Szechuan noodles, we all really liked it. I made the sauce earlier in the day then just added it to the noodles right before we ate. I didn't use sherry (being pregnant and all) or sherry vingar but put in some red-wine vinegar. I was a little concerned about the sauce when I tasted it by itself, it was very peanut buttery, so I actually added a dash more soy sauce and vinegar. Once it sat in the fridge for a few hours and then on the noodles, the taste mellowed out a bit and it was quite good. We had a single guy friend over for dinner and he really enjoyed it, although anything is probably better than what he has on a consistent basis.

No comments: