Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lemonade: 101
by Jenny and Jude Johnson
You've heard, "If life gives you lemons, then make lemonade." Well this is the story of what happens when you spill that lemonade all over the counter and onto the floor....

Four year old Jude was my junior chef today. Notice the tiny hands. He was really enjoying the process- the clinking of the juicer parts, the stickiness, the satisfaction of squeezing the life out of something. After all, he abandoned his perfectly good peanut butter and honey sandwich just to get in on the action, so I was proud. Then, when we were about half way through the lemons...

... the mug tumped over!

I calculated how much
could be done with three lemons. Not much- about 2 fancy glasses worth. We 'pressed' on. I refigured the sugar, the water, & the ice accordingly, and dumped it in the blender. Blenders are always a hit with kids.

The frothy goodness made for a great afternoon pick-me-up. Jude said it was kind of "tart," though when I tried to persuade him to donate it to his mother, he wouldn't relinquish his glass.

And, as a bonus today, when flipping through channels, we happened to come across Ina. Jude insisted that we stop (Ina over Noggin?!) He sat couch intensely watching her make pan- sauteed salmon, lentils, and chocolate dipped pecan bars for almost an hour. When she was making the bars he said, "I wish I could eat those with her. Mom, would you like to eat those with her?" Yes, Jude. Yes, I would.

Our review: Two, sticky thumbs up!

3 comments:

Ruth Lee said...

I love cooking with my boys, too! I am anxious to make the lemonade and I'm sure the boys will want to be in on the process. :)

Janice Johnson said...

Too cute--I love the posts with the kids in them! What fun-cooking moms we have in this group!--I have 6 grandkids moms in this group,so now I need some pics of those kids cooking--come on Johnson/Robertson moms!

Sheila said...

ok, you are my new best friend! I love your sense of humor! : ) We should develop an act together : ) hee-hee. And Jude is the cutest sous chef I have ever seen!