Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Crab Cakes and Sugar Snap Peas

Tonight was my first night cooking with Ina and attempting to channel Julia while doing it. :) I even wore my super cute apron that my sister got me to really feel like a chef. The menu was crab cakes, mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas. While I was hard at work, my 4 1/2 year old decided he couldn't wait for dinner and began devouring leftover pizza and of course younger brother had to do the same thing. :) I decided to not make a battle over it and see it as a blessing that now Ben and I would eat a scrumptious meal in peace and quiet!

Everything was yummy! I have made crab cakes before and the recipe I used called for 1lb. of crab meat, but Ina's called for 1/2lb. Therefore we noticed that the cakes weren't quite as "crabby" but both my husband and I still thought they were good. I didn't use the red onion and scaled back on the red and yellow bell pepper at the request of my better half. :) The mashed potatoes weren't Ina's, but the peas were. These peas are prepared raw and with seasame oil and seasame seeds. We liked them okay, but both of us preferred plain sugar snap peas. Tomorrow night we are having Ina's Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Carrots so I'll be anxious to see how those turn out.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Gorgeous picture! Looks amazing! Gonna have to make that one! : ) You need to post a pic of you in your apron! : ) I need to get one : )

Janice Johnson said...

That is a pretty picture--but kind of a small portion!:) It was good to hear from you--I have been waiting for your post! --janice

Lou Ann Chae said...

I also tried those sugar snap peas and definitely preferred them with nothing - that recipe was not a keeper!! - lou ann