Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Venison" Sausage in Puff Pastry


As you can tell, the 2 recipes I have chosen to make thus far deal with baking, which I love to do. I made this dish for my hubby who had been out of town for several days as a welcome home. He loves pastries and is a big meat-eater, as well. He really loved the dish, and I did, too (pg 42). The crust was so flaky and buttery, like a yummy croisant! My girls didn't like it because the venison sausage I used was too spicy. It was what I had in the freezer, and Kroger's doesn't carry lamb meat.

After making this dish, here are my tips. Definitely don't wait too long to use the pastry after it has been thawed. The first pastry sheet I used was okay, easy to work with, but by the time I was ready to move on to the second pastry sheet, it was warm, gooey, and sticking to each other. I also had a hard time "visualizing" what the finished product was suppose to look like, as there is not a picture of the finished dish in her book. And I am such a visual person. My sausage size and pastry size didn't match up with her description after I made all the cuts, so I ended up cutting each pastry sheet in 4 equal squares (8 squares total). Then I cut my sausage in half length wise, so I had 8 pieces of sausage to go with the 8 squares of pastry. I made my rolls and they looked more like egg rolls than little appetizers, but we liked them just the same. I served them with a side of dijon mustard for dipping. This is really a glorified "pig in the blanket," but a very yummy one at that.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for the picture, Stacey.

Carissa said...

I think this would make a yummy appetizer cut up in little bit size pieces like she suggests. I wonder if HEB would have lamb sausage? Good job improvising since you didn't have a picture! I also am a visual person.