Sunday, September 20, 2009

Homemade Granola

This is the granola that I usually eat:So I was excited about having some homemade granola, but wary about the price difference. Trying to stay within the budget, I used the following ingredients instead of everything Ina says:
That's raisins instead of figs and "mixed fruit" instead of apricots and cherries (there were apricots, plums, and apples in the mixed fruit). Since I didn't have coconut (I was going to include it, but realized after I went to the store that I didn't have any), I decreased the amount of liquid that I added to the dry.

I used two pans instead of one, and after slightly burning one pan I lowered the heat to 325F.
After ~30min I decided it was toasted enough.
The final product didn't look so bad. It tasted a little burnt, sadly, but it made my milk taste really good. I would cut out some of the fruit though, but maybe that's because I'm used to the HEB-only-raisins granola.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

That is alot of fruit...looks kinda like a trailmix! I bet it is good on yogurt since it is so fruity.

Jenny said...

I believe this recipe has a bit too much fruit, though I really enjoyed making it. It made the house smell great. I think next time I'm just going to add cranberries to the brown ingredients.