Thursday, September 17, 2009

Strawberry Corn Muffins


Page 215 is Ina's Raspberry Corn Muffin recipe. I started to whip these up for small group when I realized I was missing a few things. Luckily I had everything I needed to make the corn muffins, but as they were baking I went to the fridge to find some good old Smucker's jelly and alas, nothing! Where did it all go?? I could have SWORN I had raspberry and strawberry and even a grape one hiding in there somewhere...

The mystery of the missing Smucker's still miffs me, but luckily I had a carton of fresh strawberries in the fridge so I decided to make my own quick jam. I cut and mashed up about 12 large strawberries, put them in a hot skillet, and added the juice of about 1/3 of a lemon since I did not have any fruit pectin to thicken up the jam. (Fruit pectin, by the way, is made from citrus anyway! -- I googled it!). Since I used up the last of my sugar in the corn muffins, I added 1/2 cup of a sugar substitute called "Simply Sweet" (made from melons) which is great in tea, but I'm not a fan of how it bakes.... anyway, I let it all boil on the stove for about 8 mins, stirring often until it gets all gooey and thick and you can't take it anymore! : )



While that was cooking, I got out my pastry bag and searched EVERYWHERE for the large tip... which I never found. : ( Oh well, as soon as the muffins were out I spooned the still hot strawberry jam over the top. This whole recipe was already a lost cause for me, so I just kept improvising! Like everything else I've done so far, it turned into a COMPLETELY different recipe!!!

The end result wasn't bad at all, I would have eaten them if I could. But hardly anyone else was a fan. Come to find out.... people don't like corn muffins! That and they were expecting regular muffin mix that tasted more like white cake. I forgot to say that they were corn muffins at first, so I think it was a shock to their pallet! Oopsie!



At the end of the day it was fun and whatever!!! : ) Jessica took the rest of them home. She was the only one in the group who really liked them. So I wonder what she ate for breakfast. If it was my Strawberry Corn Muffins, then I guess this one wasn't a total loss! HA! : ) Congrats to Stacey who actually got this one right! (Her post is below). : )

4 comments:

Ruth Lee said...

Great pics!! I would have definitely eaten several of them. :)

Janice Johnson said...

That is one of the funniest impovosational stories I have heard! It would never occur to me to just make the jam!(and I know how to make jam--just have never done it on the spot--or even thought to.)

I do have a thought on this recipe though--in the past I have made "surprise muffins" which is a dollop of jam on half the batter, then add the rest of the batter in each cup--then you cut the muffin open and there is your jam. It is not as cute--till you cut it open anyway--but sounds easier than piping the jam in. Maybe I will try it both ways.

Sheila said...

Oooh, Janice! "Surprise Muffins" sound fun, and yes, WAY easier! : ) Not that this was hard. I just made it way harder than it should have been! HA! : ) Actually, come to think of it, I did make surprise muffins! : ) "SURPRISE! It's nothing like it was s'posed to be!" hee-hee!

Jenny said...

Looks beautiful!!