Saturday, September 19, 2009

Split Pea Soup and Parmesan Croutons


I love split pea soup so was excited to try this recipe. I usually make it with a ham bone and this uses only chicken broth and then ham chunks added on top if you want them. Really simple to make and I did half the recipe as the full recipe called for 16 cups of chicken stock - that would make a lot of split pea soup!! I thought it was really good. My husband liked it, especially with lots of tabasco added. His only comment was, "Ditch the potatoes." My 13 year old daughter tasted the soup, said it was okay, didn't like the color and asked when I was going to get to the dessert chapter in this cookbook.
The parmesan croutons were yummy and very easy to make. I've been snacking on the left overs. Hmmmm ... would be good with the $14 bucket-o-hummus!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Did you think it was just as good without the ham bone? I can't wait till cold weather...my husband loves soup, but wont eat it till it is cold outside.
--Carissa