Monday, September 21, 2009

Indonesian Ginger Chicken


When I first looked up the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook on Amazon.com, most of the reviews all talked about her Indonesian Ginger Chicken that she sold at her store. I knew this had to be at the top of our list of things to try. Danny is not a big fan of ginger and was a little apprehensive, but he enjoyed it a lot. The chicken was VERY moist. If you took off the skin and didn't eat it (so much healthier for you too)- you didn't taste as much of the marinade. I was very impressed how crispy and brown the skin got- I usually burn chicken skin :)

Changes I made:
- Used half of 1 chicken (bought already cut at the store- the whole chicken was sliced in half and in one container so I have the other half to make her roasted chicken recipe later)
- I used dried ginger because I already had it and HEB had been out of fresh ginger for 2 weeks and didn't know when they would get it in
- I only marinated the chicken about 10 hours, which was more than enough

2 comments:

Carissa said...

Well isn't that nifty...didn't know that you could buy a raw chicken cut in half! Was that at HEB?

Jenny said...

Yeah, taking the back out of that chicken was without question the grossest thing I've done this week. Next time, I'm going to try to avoid that step. Your picture looks really delicious, by the way. Good job!