Saturday, September 19, 2009

Blueberry Scones

I felt like trying a breakfast recipe, and all of the scones looked so good.  I decided to try the strawberry scones recipe.  I couldn't find a full bag of dried strawberries at Kroger's, so instead I got dried blueberries.  They were on the aisle next to canned fruit.  Here's the bag I got.



Rolling the dough out and cutting it.  I halved the recipe because I don't know what we'd do with 14 to 16 scones (other than eat them all, which wouldn't be a good idea).  I cut 8 triangles out of the dough, which ended up yielding good sized scones. 



The finished product.



I liked these a lot.  The texture was great: light (but not in a low fat kind of way), buttery, and almost flaky.  I was a little disappointed by the flavor.  I was expecting them to be a lot sweeter than they were.  Maybe scones just aren't meant to be that sweet.  I don't eat them often, so I really couldn't tell for sure.  When I make these the next time, I think I'll increase the sugar by half and also add a third more of the dried fruit, just to add a little more flavor and sweetness.  Otherwise, these were great and not too hard to make.

4 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

Your pics look so professional! Scones are typically not very sweet at all. They are almost closer to a sweet biscuit than a muffin. They are actually meant to be served with jam, I think is the reason why.

Unknown said...

Ok, then it makes sense that they weren't very sweet. I was wondering if I did something wrong. Glad to know that's how they were supposed to be.

Carissa said...

FYI...scones freeze beautifully!

Lou Ann Chae said...

And by the way, you cannot substitute fresh strawberries for the dried. I didn't have dried strawberries but had fresh so cut them in small chunks and dumped in the recipe. Texture was definitely off but they tasted good with strawberry jam on them!!