Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf


Tonight I chose to make the Turkey Meatloaf. I made Giada de Laurentis's turkey meatloaf wrapped in pancetta a few weeks ago and it was a big hit. I had planned on making the roasted carrots, but since I don't have a double oven and the meatloaf cooks at 325 and the carrots at 400 it was a no go. Instead I changed the game plan last minute and pulled out frozen carrots and peas and used the leftover mashed potatoes. :)

Ina's recipe is HUGE so I cut it in half and still it was alot - yea leftovers! Both Ben and I enjoyed it, but liked Giada's recipe better. Ben felt like it didn't have that much flavor and I must say I kind of agree. The only thing I changed in the recipe was that I only used about a 1/4 of the onions, since Ben isn't a big fan. The boys on the other hand, LOVED the meatloaf and both asked for second helpings. This is a really big deal since our oldest, Hudson, has become very picky and just doesn't want to eat much since it means that he has to be still. :)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I was thinking about making this. Thanks for the tip about it being bland. We'll probably keep all the onions- I bet that would help. Cute dinner table pic!

Sheila said...

Looks yummy! I'm curious, why did you like Giada's better? What was the major difference for you? : )

Janice Johnson said...

I looked at this recipe, and you are right, if does not have much in it. I have one that I use that is chocked full of everything but the kitchen sink! It is so spicy, I have had Lillian refuse it...But I love it that way. I have never used turkey though...so maybe that makes it better.

Ruth Lee said...

Giada's recipe uses Romano cheese, sun dried tomatoes and is wrapped in pancetta - an Italian style meatloaf. It seemed to have more flavor overall.