Friday, September 18, 2009

Peach and Raspberry Crisp

Tonight I made my first official dish from the cookbook.  I decided to start with the Peach and Raspberry Crisp because it didn't look too intimidating and we already had the dinner portion of the meal planned (pizza from Pepperoni's...yum!), so all we needed was a dessert.

Like Carissa, I used frozen fruit for mine.  I'm sure this saved time and frustration, as I'm not too good with having patience in the kitchen.  I defrosted the fruit for a few minutes before mixing it in with the sugar and other ingredients.  I also halved the recipe; I know myself well enough to know that I do not need extra portions of anything sweet around the house.   

I somehow missed the orange on the list of ingredients to get, so I used dried orange zest instead.  I think it was an ok substitute, but I didn't end up noticing much of an orange flavor in the final product, so I'd bet that the fresh orange zest would have been better.  I also didn't have quick oats, just the "old fashioned" kind.  My mom gave me a tip that I could sub the "old fashioned" for the quick oats if I cooked them in the oven for a few minutes before using them in the topping mixture.  I guess putting them in the oven cooks them a little so they work more like quick oats would when used in the recipe.  I thought the oats worked well, so I guess no harm done by not having quick oats. 

Here's a picture of the Crisp before going into the oven.



And here's the after. 



The fruit bubbled over the top of the topping a lot, more than I had expected.  The topping didn't get as brown as I had expected, but I'm wondering if that had to do with the amount of fruit that had bubbled over.  Not sure about any of that, but it tasted great. 

Here it is along with some ice cream, ready to be enjoyed.



And enjoyed it was!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I also was a little suprised that mine didn't brown up alot either. I wondered if I had it on too low of a rack in the oven.