Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Indonesian Ginger Chicken

I too decided to try out the Indonesian Ginger Chicken recipe.  It looked easy and healthy, and I was extra excited that you could do all the preparation work a day ahead.  That is my kind of recipe!

As I started putting together the marinade, I realized that I was short on ginger by a lot.  A word of warning- you will need a lot of ginger in order to make this recipe.  I decided to go for it anyway and just added less of the other ingredients in order to balance it out.  I only made about 2/3 of the marinade amount called for in the recipe, because I think I only used about 2/3 the amount of chicken called for.  I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts rather than the whole chicken, because that's what I had on hand and I also knew it would make it a little healthier. 

Here's the chicken right after coming out of the oven.  It ended up taking about the same amount of time to cook as it called for in the recipe with the whole chicken.



We had the chicken with rice and haricot verts with caramelized onions and bacon. 



The verdict: the flavor of the chicken was really good.  You could definitely taste the ginger.  It was a little more dry than I'm sure it would have been had we cooked it with the skin on and as a whole chicken, but it was overall very tasty.  We ended up with a lot of chicken left over, which is great, because I think it will be delicious in some fried rice that we'll be making for dinner tonight.