Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Roasted Fennel with Parmesan

We have never tasted fennel, but I have heard about it and seen it used on the Food Network. When I saw this recipe, I knew we had to try it. Danny likes plain vegetables and doesn't care for vegetables that are "slimy and squishy"- so, I didn't know how he would like this one.

The fennel was easy to find in the produce area. I used 1 fennel bulb for 2 people and it made the perfect amount. The tag on the fennel said it only lasted in plastic wrap in the fridge for 4 days and it was correct! The greens on my fennel weren't looking so good after 3 days, but the bulb was still firm.
I used Mediterranean Sea Salt from my pantry instead of the Kosher salt. Even though it is a bit pricey, I would recommend buying the real, good parmesan from the cheese counter. From what I had remembered from seeing Ina cook this on her show, the real parmesan gives the fennel a "nutty" taste and it needs that. I didn't want to spend a whole lot, so I found a little tub near the parmesan triangles that was much cheaper. It had 3 of the ends of the parmesan wheel and it was all still good.
Danny was the first one to taste the fennel and he said it was good, and I agreed. It tasted a lot like a grilled sweet onion and had the came consistency as one. The verdict was- we would eat this again.

I wondered why someone would choose to eat fennel..so I googled it.  "The health benefits of fennel include anemia, indigestion, flatulence, constipation, colic, diarrhea, respiratory disorders, menstrual disorders, eye care, etc."

Interesting! :)

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Isn't fennel amazing!!!?!?!? I had never ever had it before, but I am a fan! I just used it with veal. Seems like it would go with most anything!