Friday, September 25, 2009

Chocolate Buttercream Cake

Well, I made my first Ina recipe last night. I made the chocolate buttercream cake, mostly because I had all of the ingredients on hand, but also a little bit because I love chocolate :) I did make a few changes to the recipe in order to make it a bit more figure/heart healthy. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup room temperature butter, which I exchanged for half butter and half natural applesauce. It also calls for buttermilk and sour cream to which I used lowfat buttermilk and light sour cream. These changes cut out a good 800 calories and 70 grams of fat.

I tasted the batter as I was pouring it into my baking pan, and I was pretty amazed. It was delicious. I guess I wasn't expecting much....you know, it's just chocolate cake. But I thought it was really good. Marc and I ate some that night after dinner as well as tonight. Yum. Oh, and Marc said the icing tastes like a chocolate bar (I lightened it a bit too, but I'll never tell him that..heehee.) - Alicia Gelnett

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I made this today too, and I didn't substitute a dern thing. You can tell Marc I'll bring him a piece of real cake on Sunday.