Thursday, September 17, 2009

$14 "Bucket-O-Hummus"
by Jenny Johnson

Funny trivia: Did you know some think Boaz and Ruth shared hummus together? Check out Ruth 2:14. The word "vinegar" is translated "Hometz"in Hebrew, but its closely associated with "Himtza" which translates to chickpeas.*

The ingredients:
I want those fancy leaves in the picture. What's that about? Endive leaves? Couldn't find them. About the Chickpeas, they're the same thing as Garbanzo beans. And I'm pretty sure middle eastern people don't buy "Bush's Best Chick Peas" but the ones in the Asian Isle had a layer of dust on the top so that made me nervous. Bush's it is! The toughest ingredient to find was the Tahini. It's in the Asian isle and, warning, it cost $7. I almost bailed at that point. But hey, you gotta' live a little.

The process:
Went 'smoothly,' right up until I realized 2 cans of beans does not 2 cups make- I wasn't a math major. So, like any accomplished chef, I proceeded to dig my hands in the partially food processed mush to scoop out what I thought was approximately half a can of Garbanzo beans. Look, it wasn't for company. Though, had there been company, I would have most certainly done the same.

The result:
My husband thought it made my breath smell atrocius. Perhaps this affected my ability to "sell" it to him, but, in short, he hated it. Though, personally, I thought it was lovely- good texture, with a nice lemon, garlic, and tabasco flavor in the background. And, just so you know, I'm going to eat some more today- right after I buy some mints.

*Disclaimer: I got that from some internet hummus groupies, not my preacher, so don't go making a Sunday School lesson around it or anything.

6 comments:

Carissa said...

I vote your post the funniest one yet! Gave me a good chuckle! Thanks!

Janice Johnson said...

don't worry too much about the tahini cost, as long as you plan to make more...I have had a jar of it for over 3 years now, and it seems it keeps...I make hummus about 2-3 times a year...I think when I finally do Ina's recipe, I will use it up.

Shannon Boyer said...

We love hummus and can't wait to try making my own! Thanks for telling me where the Tahini was in the store- I would search forever!

Sheila said...

I agree with Carissa! Too cute post! Made me smile! Sounds like your husband and mine should be friends. : ) Michael would have the same reaction! HA!

Ruth Lee said...

You are so funny, Jenny! I'm sitting here laughing and Hudson is asking me what is going on. I told him Jude's mommy is a very funny lady. :)

Lou Ann Chae said...

Fabulous commentary! I have made this hummus recipe a bunch of times and have definitely tweaked it! I leave out the garlic because it seems to get stronger and stronger the longer it sits in the fridge and unless you and your husband both eat it, it's a bad breath situation for one of you! I use one of the large cans of chickpeas which I find on the mexican row for some reason. I also use alot of the reserved liquid - the more you add the creamier it gets. My family loves it with raw carrots and sugar snap peas for dipping.