Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blueberry and Raspberry Crisp


I know what you are thinking....there isn't a recipe by that name in Ina's book. But there is one for Peach and Raspberry Crisp (pg 190). In the intro she says that she likes to use whatever fruit is in season for this crisp. Last night in my freezer, blueberries and raspberries were in season! I had a bag of mixed frozen berries that needed to be used up. Sorry for the messy looking dish in the picture, I didn't remember to take a picture until it was almost all gone! It was going fast! My favorite part of this dish was that Ina said it could be baked ahead of time and just reheated in the oven. That is a huge plus for me....keeps your kitchen clean when people are coming over, and your guests wonder how you dissapeared to the kitchen and whipped that together so fast! Makes you look like a Superchef!

We had a big group of friends over as tasters and they all gave it an A+, half of us even went in for seconds. We all matched with our purple teeth and tongues! The topping was very good, crunchy, and light. Not light in a healthy way (it was painful to put 2 sticks of butter in there!), but light meaning it wasn't thick like a pastry crust.

In case anyone else wants to use frozen fruit for this recipe, I used 8 cups frozen berries, and followed the rest of the recipe exactly except my pan was 13 x 9 x2 oval..(I little smaller than her pan). I only used half of the crumb topping which was a relief...made it half the fat and calories than I originally thought it would be. I stuck the rest of the crumb topping in the freezer for another crisp one day soon! Maybe I'll try it with peaches next. :)

--Carissa

3 comments:

Sheila said...

YUM! Can you use frozen watermelon? : ) HA!!!!

Carissa said...

Sorry Sheila, you know I love you but I just have to explain your last comment to the group!
The other day Sheila asked me if she could just buy a whole watermelon while it was in season and freeze it, then thaw it out in a month or so when she needed it for a baby shower!!! Sheila, I am only mentioning this in case anyone else thinks this is a good idea to try. The answer is No...you might have a good watermelon slushy though!!!

Sheila said...

I'm learning everyday! : ) Actually watermelon slushy sounds very refreshing! : )