Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cinnamon Raisin Scones













Here is my story of the strawberry scones.....




I'll start this story by saying that it is never a good idea to bake anything when you don't have access to a sink to wash hands or dishes. Our kitchen sink got stopped up last night. My sweet husband is being too cheap to call the plumber and thinks if we ignore the problem long enough then the problem might just go away. Well, the problem is still here. This morning Adam suggests that running the dishwasher might clear up the plumbing problem.

So I did this in the middle of making my scones.....bad idea. The sinks started overflowing. I had sticky scones all over my hands, so I had to put the 4 year old at the sink manning the plunger!! She of course loved this idea....as you can tell from the picture.

So, back to the scones, I am trying to be better about my grocery budget so raisins replaced the strawberries, and like Amy, I halved the recipe mainly cuz I only had 2 eggs. Ina calls for 3 sticks of butter for a whole recipe, I used 1 stick for a half recipe, seemed fair. I didn't want to skimp too much. Oh, and I did skip the heavy cream and use 2% milk. The only other changes I did was to up the sugar to 1/4 cup for the halved recipe and I cut the salt in half...seemed a bit high to me. I did add a touch of cinnamon also, the egg wash wasn't an option (out of eggs at this point) I just sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. I cut mine into cute tiny triangles, got about 20 of them. I baked them only 9-10 minutes. They were really good, Lillian (my 4 year old) and I both ate several right out of the oven. They were light and slightly sweet. Amy, don't feel bad, even after adding more sugar than Ina would...Adam would probably like them even sweeter. (he isn't around to taste them right now) I would make them again, maybe just when I don't have to be plunging at the same time.
--Carissa

4 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

Lillian to the rescue! very funny--but what about the sink troubles?--she can't plunge every time you wash dishes! But back to the recipe--with so many changes you kind of had a totally new recipe there! I was amazed it all worked!

Carissa said...

I'm so bad about sticking to a recipe...sorry about so many changes!

Stacey said...

so funny! Always something around the house to fix, isn't it? Your daughter is so cute!! I love her hair. Looks like ya'll made a fun memory.

Jenny said...

This was a fun read. You have an adorable little girl. Great hair!