Sunday, March 6, 2011

Un-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Dijon, Ham, and Gruyere (p.227)

WOW! All I can say about this recipe is SO delicious but SO bad for your waist line! It was a huge hit at our house. I had to really restrain myself. I didn't change anything from the recipe at all. I have to say the Dijon mustard really added a lot of flavor to the chicken.
I even got our son to help in making this dish. He had a lot of fun breaking up the Ritz crackers for me.
The dish going into the oven. I used all the sauce in the skillet, but I think you can use as much as you like. I am glad I did because the finishing sauce was a perfect way to bring the meal together.
The final product

A couple of things I will do different next time:
* I used very thick chicken breast and I believe thinner breasts would be a better fit. The chicken was still great, but a lot of it. We had enough left over for dinner tonight.
*Instead of using regular Ritz crackers, I will use reduced fast or whole wheat instead.
*Finally I would replace the heavy whipping cream with fat-free half and half.

I always like to try a new recipe as it is written, but if I know it is a dish I will be cooking again (like this one) and it isn't necessarily the best for you, then I like to make changes that I can to help make it healthier but not take away dish.

A very special thank you to my amazing husband who helped me a lot with this dish. He is an incredible cook and I couldn't ask for a better person to help me out in the kitchen. Thanks Byron!
- Michelle

No comments: