Sunday, March 13, 2011

Skillet Tamale Pie P.119

I saw two great reviews for this and thought 'hmm maybe it will be good'. I'm not a fan of tamale's at all so when I saw the first review I didn't think much about it but then I saw the second one and I decided to at least look at the ingredients to see if I thought it was tamale like and it didn't seem to be. It had everything we liked in it so I thought I'd give it a go. We made it tonight and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely make it again. It took me 45 minutes however but at least while it was cooking in the oven I was able to do all the dishes so that was nice.

I will say that I was skeptical of putting raw meat in with tomatoes and beans but it cooked great. When it all started coming together I added more salt, pepper, and garlic. My meat mixture probably simmered 10 minutes at least while I did the cilantro, corn bread, and grated our cheese. So I'm thinking that helped all my flavors meld together.

I also, don't like just having one thing for dinner...I like side dishes so I couldn't think of anything that sounded good with it. But then I was talking to Morgan and she suggested beans and rice which I thought sounded good. I ended up not doing the refried beans b/c it has black beans in it but I did the rice and thought that was a good addition. So we served it with rice, salsa, and sour cream. Super yummy!

Thanks ladies for all your reviews. I'm a visual person...I like pictures and since this book doesn't have any and it has a lot of recipes I just thought I'd wait until people started posting to see what was good. I've got several marked now so thanks for the reccomendations!

No comments: