Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Quick White Chicken Chili (page 79)

This dish definitely took me a lot longer than 30 minutes....I would say I was pushing an hour. I don’t feel like I did anything differently than I normally do while I am cooking, but it may not take everyone as long as it took me. For the ingredients I couldn’t find hominy (maybe I was looking in the wrong section of the store?) so I got cannellini beans instead. For the peppers, I used 2 jalapenos & included a forth of the seeds/membrane. Before this dish I had never used Anaheim peppers before & I thought I would have a hard time finding them. However, they were sitting right next to the green bell peppers that I purchase all the time, so clearly this issue here was that I have never seen Anaheim peppers because I have never looked for Anaheim peppers. Ha! The instructions say to put all of the peppers & onions in a food processor; admittedly, I didn’t do this because I was in a lazy mood & didn’t want to dirty another dish. I just quickly chopped them & I think it was fine.

I made this late one night & tried it quickly before putting it in the fridge for lunches. It wasn’t bad but I wasn’t that impressed either. When my husband came home from work the next day the first thing he said was “that chicken stuff was great”. I went back to the fridge for a second sample & I have to say it was much better the next day. So I would suggest letting the ingredients mingle before serving.

No comments: