Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Simplified Pad Thai (p. 180)

This dish was actually pretty good for home-made pad thai, but I won't be making it again for my kiddos. My son was clear about how he felt: "Mommy, this doesn't taste good." Ha! He did like the shrimp though - we just had to pick it out of the noodles and sprouts. Anyway, my husband and I both enjoyed it, so it's possible I would make it again just for the two of us. A word of warning if you go looking for "thick rice stick noodles": The cookbook is correct when it says that it's confusing to buy the noodles by name. I ended up purchasing Thai Kitchen's Stir-Fry Rice Noodles (linguini-style) instead of rice stick noodles, and they were perfect. You really do have to look at the actual noodles through the packaging to make sure you are getting thick enough noodles. Also, be sure to follow the directions about cooking the shrimp. As someone else posted recently, the shrimp do continue to cook off heat, so don't be scared if they look undercooked! Overall, if you're looking for something a little different and you like Thai food, you might want to check this one out. :)

No comments: