Sunday, November 1, 2009

Swordfish with Tomatoes and Capers

Tonight we got daring and decided to try the swordfish recipe.  I am not a big seafood person, so I wasn't sure how I would like it, but I was willing to give it a try.  I've been trying to venture more into seafood territory, since my husband really enjoys it, and I know it's really healthy also. 

I made the Romesco sauce, and all went pretty well, except we wondered if the sauce didn't end up saucy enough.  We used canned diced tomatoes instead of the canned plum tomatoes (because that's what we had), and drained them as Ina instructed, and I'm wondering if that altered the amount of juice in the sauce.  Watch out for this when you make your sauce, and if at all possible, get the canned plum tomatoes as called for in the recipe.

My husband was the designated grill master.  Here he is preparing to put the swordfish on the grill.  No, I don't know the meaning of his face/gesture. 



Here's the swordfish, over the Romesco sauce, ready to be served. 



The verdict: we were not big on this at all.  My husband I each gave this four stars out of ten.  I don't know if it is the quality of swordfish we have available here, or if we did something wrong, but we both called it "terrible."  The swordfish we got (from Kroger) was frozen, not fresh, and maybe that made a difference.  It was pretty fishy and kind of dry.  The sauce was okay, but again, not very saucy.  We will not be making this one again.  Please let me know if you make this recipe and have better luck with it. 

8 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

great hubby pic--quite funny. I have been wary of this swordfish too...and my husband doesn't even like fish very well...

Morgan said...

only Wyatt!

I'm trying to start eating fish, too but I don't see any swordfish in my future! Did you have a backup meal or did you just make yourself eat this?

Unknown said...

No backup meal, but we served it with fettucine and spinach pie, so I just mainly ate those. Wyatt and I both also had a good amount of ice cream after dinner, I guess to make ourselves feel better after the bitter failure of a meal. :)

Haylee said...

Amy atleast it looks pretty!!

I second you and Morgan on the fish...not the biggest fan but I'm trying but my problem is I'm a big side dish person and I never know what to put with fish as sides....

Darby Hawley said...

This may not have been the tastiest of dishes, but the picture of Wyatt is hilarious, and the fish does look beautiful!

Darby Hawley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lou Ann Chae said...

We like fish at our house but I never buy fish from Kroger - got burned a few times so never again! Whole Foods or even Costco has better fish. Dish looks so pretty - sorry it didn't taste as good as it looks.

Carissa said...

Gosh, it did look pretty! Great husband pic! I also have never made swordfish...I wonder if anyone else will be brave enough to try this recipe????