Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Maple-Oatmeal Scones

Seems like these scones have been quite the hit on our blog.  I'd heard so many good things about them, I volunteered to make them for a baby shower a couple of weekends ago.  The recipe wasn't very difficult, just a lot of ingredients, and as usual, a lot of butter.  I burnt the first batch of scones a little on the bottom, and this was even after taking them out of the oven before the time Ina said to in the recipe.  I'd advise anyone making these to check the scones in the oven 10 minutes before Ina says to, just so you can get a good feel for how long it will take them to bake in your oven. 

Also, I was nervous to put the glaze on the scones right after baking them.  I baked them the day before the shower, and I was worried that the glaze would make the scones soggy by the time of the shower.  I was wrong; the few scones that I iced shortly after coming out of the oven weren't at all soggy by the next day.  Oh, and if you're making the scones in smaller sizes than Ina says (as I did), you may want to make extra glaze.  I ran out of glaze while icing them before the shower began.

Below is a picture of the scones amongst some of the other wonderful shower food (quiche, crepes, bread and cheese and pink cupcakes).     



And here's a close up of just the scones (thanks, Darby).



The scones were a hit at the shower; those that tried them seemed to enjoy them.  I will definitely be making these again!

1 comment:

Darby Hawley said...

These were so yummy! Thanks for making them Amy!