Saturday, November 14, 2009

Orange Yogurt

I think I made one thing from every section in the book in the past two days, so be warned!

This orange yogurt was great. I used one paper towel to strain because I couldn't find my cheesecloth (turns out my husband had it in his tool box ???). The paper towel worked fine for me; I got over a cup and a half of liquid out in the first two hours!


I used plain nonfat yogurt. I added everything but the honey until after my boys got their fill... they begged and begged for more! Using freshly squeezed orange juice gave it a lot of sweetness. Then I added the honey for me and I thought I was eating dessert!
My only issue with the recipe is the straining of the liquid... I looked it up and yogurt whey contains lots of the nutrients in yogurt. I probably won't make this for my kids, when I'm trying to reap all the benefits of yogurt. But it was surprisingly tasty and I will make it again as a treat.

3 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I read that a good use for yogurt whey is in a fruit smoothie made in a blender. I too, hated to waste it.

Janice Johnson said...

Here is something interesting I read--strained yogurt is also called Greek cheese or YoChee--but here are some interesting uses of it: Why use YoChee and not just plain yogurt?
The first thing you can do with YoChee that you can't do with yogurt is spread it. Many people never use it for any purpose other than as a spread instead of butter, cream cheese and mayonnaise. Since YoChee is less tart than the yogurt it came from, it is also an excellent base for rich dips and many flavorful spreads. Its milder flavor and creamier texture make YoChee a perfect baked potato topping

Furthermore, with YoChee you can create numerous simple dishes that you thought you could only make with high-fat foods. For example, it excels when it comes to creamy salad dressings and is an ideal replacement for some or all of the mayonnaise in your favorite egg, macaroni, tuna or chicken salads, where it improves the flavor, texture and nutritional value. With YoChee you can also make delicious dessert toppings that have no fat and no artificial ingredients.

YoChee can similarly enhance beans, pasta and grains, either during cooking or at the table. Because YoChee is more heat-tolerant than yogurt-which tends to curdle in hot foods-you can prepare numerous creamy dishes without depending on high-fat ingredients. You will be amazed by the taste transformation that takes place by just adding a few spoonfuls of YoChee to stews, chili, soups, rice or pasta dishes. Likewise, you can use it to produce creamy soups and sauces. YoChee also makes vegetables more attractive by replacing butter and high-fat sauces as a flavoring.

When used in frozen desserts and puddings, YoChee imparts a rich, smooth texture. In baking, it produces cakes with a tender crumb-much like sour cream does, but without the all the fat and calories. For sample recipes click here.

Finally, YoChee concentrates yogurt's nutrients so that you get more value from an equal volume.

Shannon Boyer said...

Thanks Julia for letting me know I can use a papertowel- I don't have cheese cloth and Thanks Janice for all the info on strained yogurt- interesting!