Sunday, November 8, 2009

Parker's Split Pea Soup and Parmesan Croutons

This weekend I ventured into the soup world.  I figured this was a good time to try a soup, since it's supposed to be fall weather this time of year (of course, it didn't really feel like fall).  I am not a fan of peas at all, but my husband loves split pea soup, so I thought I'd give it a try.  The recipe was pretty simple and had only a few ingredients.  I only made half a recipe, which ended up being plenty for 2 people, still leaving enough for leftovers.  I used chicken stock rather than water as the main liquid for the soup. 

My only complaint is the onions.  Can I just say that I HATE cutting up onions?  I don't know if I'm extra sensitive to onions or I'm just extra wimpy, but there are very, very few things I hate more than cutting up onions.  If I had a lot of extra money, I think I'd hire someone for the sole purpose of cutting up onions for me. 

Here's the finished soup.  It was pretty good!  And that's saying something coming from someone who really doesn't like peas.  The only changes that I might make the next time (per my husband's suggestion) would be to add some roasted garlic and also some ham to the mix. We did end up adding ham to ours, but it was at the last minute, as a topping.  I think it would have been better if it had been mixed into the soup as it was still simmering, but we'll have to save that trick for next time. 



Oh, and the parmesan croutons were great as well.  I could eat these on just about anything and be happy! 

No comments: