Saturday, November 14, 2009

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Well, after several not so great reviews of the butternut squash, I was hesitant to try it, but it was on sale today at Kroger so I gave it a whirl. I bought a tiny one that was probably not even 1.5 lbs. The smaller size must have made for easier chopping cuz I didn't have any problem cutting it up. I diced it into 1/2 in cubes thinking this would give me more flavor per bite. They roasted really quickly too. I halved her ingredient amounts since she asks for 5 lbs of squash. Oh, and I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top of them before roasting. The result?
I was prepared to not like them, but was pleasantly surprised that I did like them. They were almost dessert tasting with all the sugar and cinnamon, but hey I'm eating a veggie that I wasn't eating before, that has to account for something.
Actually they tasted like a sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving.
So I say try it if you haven't.
-Carissa

No comments: