Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Perfect Roast Chicken

This was easy to make and yummy! I was thankful my mom was here to show me how to clean and cut the chicken- but I could have figured it out on my own too :)

I used a 2 pound small whole chicken from HEB. It came with the "insides" there- they all went in the trash.

Because I used a small chicken, I only used 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 a garlic head. I couldn't find fresh thyme anywhere, so I used powdered thyme. I also have seen Paula Deen do her chickens before and she uses real butter (I used margarine) and actually puts it up under the skin of the chicken- so I did that!

I didn't want to use my big roasting pan, so I put the chicken on a cookie cooling rack in a 9x13 glass pan. I knew we weren't going to make the gravy, so I could do this.

The overall consensus was it was super yummy! Brayden loved it! The meat was moist, the skin a bit crispy (if you like to eat that, we throw it away), and it fell off the bones when I cut it. But, for the price of a whole chicken, I think the roasted chickens at Kroger or HEB or SAMS are just as good.

I thought I would pass along my moms way to cut a cooked chicken (passed down from my Grams) is to cut it straight down the middle. Then cut off all 4 legs. Then turn it over and cut off the breasts. Then eat the rest of the meat right off the bones!

No comments: